Monday, March 1, 2010

Wrong Timing of IPL

March has finally arrived. First thing which pops in my mind in this month is nothing but IPL. It is complete 45 days of non-stop cricket. Though matches are played in the evening but thanks to our media the analysis,predictions starts right from 7 A.M. It is the only(rarest of rare) time in the year when saas-bahu team up to fight against all those in the house who want to watch IPL. But even they cant stop themselves from watching the cliffhanger moments in the match.

In the midst of all this blithesome time the only person who is neglected is the person who is in standard 10th or 12th. Though it is joyous time for those in front of TV it is woeful time for those in front of books. It is that time of the year when this person needs his complete concentration but is not able to give any of it.

I have been in this situation before during my 10th board exams(2004). It was ground breaking series of India-Pakistan in Pakistan(which is million times more important than any IPL match). In the morning when I came at the exam center, everyone(including girls) were talking of this special cricket match. Suddenly I asked everyone for how long did you manage to watch it(very stupid question to ask minutes before your exam). Some of the answers were :
1: I managed to watch only last 5 overs.
2: I toh watched only last 2 overs.
3: I watched only last 2 balls.
4: I did not watch it but just saw few moments on News channel.
5: Even I did not see it just read the headlines in newspaper that India had won the match.

Then it was my turn to answer my(foot in the mouth) question, though I saw 30 overs of Pak innings and I did manage to see the whole of India's Innings. But then I had to lie to make it equitable to their answers. So I replied "only last 10 overs of each innings". And then everybody were shocked as if I had watched the whole match.
Everyone started to curse me. Some of them :
1: Now toh you are gone.
2: Lagne wali hain teri.

I never blame my parents for anything but this time it was their fault. Whenever I managed to concentrate there was a loud cheer like "SIX!!","WHAT A SHOT!!","FOUR!!","OHHH!!". My family is cricket fanatic, so much that they dont like to watch alone they would call uncle,Aunt,driver,gardener,etc. Possibly everyone who they think is free was in my house. So more the people more the noise and less my concentration.

I think there might be similar situation in most of the homes in India. My heart goes out to those students who have to study even though their mind is in front of TV. But there are students and then there are students. Some manage to score well in their exams and also watch the matches. This is only because of time management.
But then students who have a problem like me, who take the match with them even after the match, who like to analyze where the team went wrong or right, who have after effects of the match, Should strictly AVOID all the IPL matches before and during exams.

Though some would say that students should learn to avoid temptations. I personally feel that the IPL should be held at some other time of the year. But which time is the question which has no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment